Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Devil Inside (2012) ☆☆☆

“Three. Three people. Three people. Three people are dead. I killed them.”

We start this movie off with some generic ‘let's make this film seem like it actually happened’ text, followed by a bloody crime scene walk through. I immediately flashed back to 2003’s Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake. 

After what seems like one of the most infamous movie openings of it's year, we learn that our journey begins with a daughter who is on the hunt. 20 years after her mom kills 3 people during an exorcism, she is determined to find out the truth about what happened. 

Like many of the demonic and/or paranormal movies made today, this film relied on the rapid volume increases for a scare factor. You see very little gore in this movie, and what you see isn't too well done. After being let down with the blood and gore, I was happy to see some sweet contorting that always gets me cringing.

The only thing I will take from this movie is the way people went about exorcisms and possession. They brought in the idea of educating people who plan to become exorcists. Not only was that unique to me, but they also focused on a specific process to determine possession from mental illness.

Although I did see the ending coming, I would like to explain that this next part could be considered as a spoiler. Here is your alert. 

By now, everyone and their children have seen movies portraying possession. This film put Demonic Transference on the burner and I honestly cannot remember when I've seen that. Cursing someone, or having someone become possessed is one thing. Taking the idea that demons as well as souls have the ability to attach themselves from person to person was an eye opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment